Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Post-'Idol' and 'Bachelor' thoughts

Brooke: I thought her voice sounded great, but I was a little bored by the song. Had a bit of a freak-out moment when they went to an overhead shot and a yellow-tinged light shone on her hands and they looked all wrinkly and alien-like. Weird!

David Archuleta: Love the guy, but thought his performance was not really true to who he is (I think the judges commented on this as well). Plus, the mood/lyrics of the song were almost devotional -- like it was someone at a talent show at a Christian convention. But maybe I was just in a cynical mood last night because I was reading "The God Delusion" during the commercials ...

Ramiele: Pretty blah. I'm thinking she'll be gone this week.

Syesha: Had never heard the song before, but she sounded great.

Kristy: She actually sounded really good, though the song choice was a bit odd to me ("God Bless the U.S.A."?? I'm guessing folks will vote for her out of feelings of patriotism).

Michael: I really liked his performance, but he was definitely straining on a lot of the higher notes, and came off as nearly shouting to get them out.

Chikezie: Very cheesy and old-fashioned (I'm in agreement with Simon here -- as always).

David Cook: My favorite performance of the night. Straight out of an arena-rock show.

Jason: More of the same from the dreadlocked one. I love his voice, but give us something a little different already!

Carly: Should be good enough to pop her out of the bottom three this week, though I thought she seemed a little disconnected. Simon pegged it as nerves.

...finally also watched Monday night's "Bachelor" last night. It wasn't as salacious as I was expecting it to be, but Matt did kiss on at least a few girls. Two more girls sang for him (about which one bachelorette said "I was pissed!" ... huh??), and this girl Shayne had a bit of a freak-out on him, to which he said in his comments, "The drama is really a turn-off." But then, surprise, he still gave her a rose in the end. Probably because 1) she's attractive, 2) she's Lorenzo Llamas' daughter and 3) it's "Bachelor" tradition to keep on at least one psycho chick through the fourth or fifth episode. Finally, I was a bit annoyed by the final interview of one of the axed bachelorettes. She tearfully said something to the effect of: "I just can't wait to get home to my cat. I've missed him a lot. I can't wait to hear him purr and have him on my lap. He's the love of my life right now." Way to live up to the (outdated) stereotype of single, female cat owners being losers!!

No comments: