Sunday, May 10, 2009

The problem with sunshine in Seattle

Being the native Seattleite that I am, I, along with my fellow Seattleites, really treasure seeing the sun out and about here in the city. Though we are wrongly accused of being the rainiest city -- Mobile, Alabama, gets this honor, and no Pacific Northwest city shows up until Olympia at No. 24; click here for proof -- it definitely is gray and gloomy for a lot of the year. This means that whenever the sun pops out on a non-summer day, the entire mood of the city lifts, and there's a collective "Ahhhh!" However, the downside is that one then feels a huge amount of pressure to take advantage of the weather, by getting out of the city for a hike, going on a walk, playing tennis, what have you. Sometimes, though, I just want to sit on my living room couch and catch up on "The Wire" or something!

Anyway, this feeling is thankfully alleviated once summer comes around and we have stretches of days of nice weather, but from Sept. to June, after any nice weekend, one can expect questions like "What did you do during the nice weather this weekend" on Mondays..

By the way, on a random aside, I'm watching "The Amazing Race" finale as I type this, and for at least the third time this season, the contestants are in swim suits or something similar (they've also been in leotards and their skivvies). Do they have a waxer on hand for the ladies to use or something?? Certainly, if they ever had a female Indian contestant in the Race, a waxer/threader would get a lot of work..

2 comments:

Marivic said...

I struggle with this, myself. Today is a perfect example (a whole week after this post). As nice as it is, I really just want to set in the shade or stay at home, catch up on The Office, Ugly Betty, Reaper, and ALL THE OTHER SHOWS that were neglected over the course of the work week. It's brave of you to admit this and now I am. Thank you.

pooja said...

Hey, happy to serve as your mouthpiece :o)

My new thing is to try to compromise. I.e., this past weekend it was beautiful. Saturday, I went on a quick hike, played tennis, and went to the U District Street Fair. Then Sunday...I did basically nothing, just lazed around the house. But due to the previous day's activities, I didn't feel too guilty about it!