Saturday, August 16, 2008

Icky, Sticky, Uncomfortable

So we're in the middle of a mini-heat wave here in Seattle right now -- it's been in the upper 80s and low 90s. Call me a wuss, but I'm a true Seattleite in that 80/90-degree temps are just too much; I like milder weather. I generally am always on the cold side, but when I'm outside in direct sunlight, I heat up pretty quickly (the brown skin and black hair are sun magnets). On top of that, I'm not comfortable jetting around town in skimpy clothes, so the end result is that being outdoors in this type of weather is really, really uncomfortable. I did get in some fresh air today, though; Anuja and I met up for some tennis, but although it was somewhat early -- 9:30 a.m.-ish -- it was nearly 80, so we only lasted maybe 40 minutes. Then I made a quick run down to the U District to drop something off at the dry cleaner. My condo's windows all face north, so I don't get a ton of direct sunlight in the summer, but after a couple days of 80-plus temps, it definitely starts warming up in here. So I've got a fan going on low as I'm watching the Olympics.

Speaking of the Olympics.. right now this event called the steeplechase is on. Who comes up with these things?? My understanding is that the athletes do seven laps of a track. En route, they jump over like five hurdles per lap, including one where they step onto the hurdle and jump into a big puddle of water. Huh? I'd like to submit my own Olympic track and field event... you do one lap of the track.. then you stop at a booth and have to knock down three tiers of bottles with up to three beanbags.. then you run another lap.. then you come to a puddle of water, but have to get through it by walking on your hands.. then you do another lap with seven hurdles.. then you have to throw a football through a tire.. then you do one more lap and you're done!

As John Stossel would say: "Gimme a break!"

No comments: