Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My name is Pooja, and I'm addicted to socks

I love socks. I don't know if it's the germophobe in me or what, but except for those handful of super-warm Seattle summer days, you'll find me in socks, both inside and outside of my home. I think it also has to do with my love of being cozy and comfortable, which usually equals wearing layers on my upper half (I wear tank tops nearly year-round), lots of fleece around the house and jeans and T-shirts. I even sleep with socks on, though on warmer nights, I'll pull off the socks after a little bit (I should note that I don't ever have the heat on in my bedroom, except for a few minutes right before bed during the fall and winter). My current favorite type of sock is a knee-high sock by SmartWool. I have several pairs of hiking socks by them, but I've recently also picked up some more casual/trendy pairs. I even got a pair of snowboarding socks by them in advance of my trip last November, and wore them quite often during my travels. They're great worn inside boots!


This whole sock thing came into my mind because yesterday, I wore some high-top Converse boots with knee-high socks, and then realized once I got to the gym and started changing that I'd forgotten to pack gym socks -- oops! I was tempted to make a fashion statement and wear my knee-highs anyway (see picture, which I took after I got home; and yes, I don't really have any calf muscles!!), but in the end, I just went commando. That set up wasn't very comfortable right off, and was even less comfortable 15 minutes into my 40-minute turn on the elliptical, but I usually wear "no-show" socks to the gym, so I at least didn't feel self-conscious about being obviously sock-less.

I was a bit late finishing up my work out, so I didn't have time to put my socks back on before I headed out of the gym to the bus stop. Soon as I got to the bus stop and found out via my OneBusAway iPhone app that I still had some 10 minutes before the bus arrived, I immediately pulled off my shoes, let my feet air out for a minute and pulled my socks back on (oh, and I was alone at said bus stop..). Call me weird, but putting on socks is one of my favorite things to do! So I nearly sighed out loud in relief when I put my feet back into my tennis shoes, with the socks on. Ahh!

No comments: