Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Swing high, sweet ivory thrones

My new office building has some construction going on nearby (this can be said about a lot of office buildings in Western Washington; apparently, out here we have the most construction cranes west of the Mississippi), and I can see some of the action through the window of the guy across the hall from me (I'm in an interior office). The other day, I did a double take when I saw a crane lifting up a pallet of Honey Buckets! Yes, portable outhouses! There were probably six or seven of them, and they were being pulled up so fast that I didn't even have time to whip out my cameraphone. I was able to get the attention of a guy kitty-corner to me with a window, and he also had a good laugh at the sight before the cargo was up, up and away and out of sight. It was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen! My guess is that they were going atop one of the taller under-construction buildings, so the workers don't have to go all the way down to street level. I'm not able to see onto the roofs of any of those nearby buildings to check, though.

2 comments:

Gene DeClark said...

Isn't it amazing that you can actually _hear_ the street level construction noise 17 stories up this brand new skyscraper?

Seeing the Honey Buckets (or American TARDISes as I call them) must have been a riot. :)

pooja said...

Oh man, it was so surreal! Luckily I can't hear the construction from where I sit (I'm in an interior office), but I do see the action going on outside all day long. It's going to be so weird once everything's done and it gets all calm and quiet outside (well, as calm and quiet as it can get in such a busy part of town!).